Saturday 30 April 2011

Best Heavy Bag Reviews : Different Heavy Bag Weights

What is the difference between a Heavy bag weighing 70lbs vs one a lot heavier, say 100lbs?
Different Heavy Bag Weights
I asked many a stupid salesman this question and most of them had no clue and the ones that tried to feed me a line of B.S. usually said the heavier bags are for pros because they hit a lot harder. In the end, I analyzed what everyone said, cut through the crap, used some common sense and came up with an answer.

Basically, the difference is the amount of resistance the Heavy bag is going to give. This is quite obvious, a heavier bag is going is going to be able to withstand a lot more force before it starts swinging wildly. Not that a swinging bag is bad thing as it ensures you aren't stationary while you are hitting it. The added resistance will be beneficial in the development of stronger punches.

I cringe as I type that, however, as power punching is more technique than raw strength. Like weight training, though, you have to continually increase the resistance in order to experience gains in strength. I believe the same goes for a heavy bag.

That said, I settled on a 70lb Heavy bag for my basement. I weigh about 170lb and have a pretty good swing and I find the bag puts up a pretty good fight. It does feel different from the 100-150lb Heavy bags hanging in my boxing gym though. They move a lot less and I find myself using a little more power when I'm hitting the Heavy bags.

1 comment: